10 Electronic Cigarette Facts
As more and more tobacco smokers become aware of the smokeless alternative, the realistic and satisfying electronic cigarette, they begin to understand their genuine opportunity to obtain nicotine without the tars and toxins contained in tobacco smoke. The reality is that smokers can give up their dangerous use of tobacco and choose a socially acceptable and enjoyable alternative – the electronic cigarette.
Naturally, since the electronic cigarette has only been on the market a little less than ten years, many people, especially non-smokers are suffering from serious misinformation about the advantages of an electronic cigarette over a tobacco cigarette. People question the safety of an electronic cigarette, as well as its ability to help smokers stop smoking entirely. Perhaps most critics question whether electronic cigarettes will entice children and young adults to start using nicotine as well. This list was written to inform smokers and the general public alike.
Here are 10 FAQs about an electronic cigarette:
1. Most smokers wonder if an electronic cigarette will feel the same as tobacco cigarettes. No, they don’t have exactly the same feel, but close enough. Former smokers have reported dropping their pack-a-day tobacco habit when they switched to an electronic cigarette. Fortunately, the oral and tactile sensation is similar and the harmless water vapor tastes, feels and actually looks like tobacco smoke. An electronic cigarette delivers instant nicotine satisfaction that tobacco smokers crave.
2. People wonder if an electronic cigarette is safe. But everyone knows that tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 toxic chemicals, so an electronic cigarette is refreshingly free of them all since there is no smoke involved at all. As far as the use of tobacco is concerned, the smoke itself is the greatest health hazard. Electronic cigarettes deliver nicotine as the user inhales a solution of flavoring and nicotine in a base agent, and so there is no tobacco in the mix, only tobacco flavoring. There is no tobacco and there is no tobacco smoke.
The Royal College of Physicians has reported that nicotine has not been proven to cause any long term health dangers. Vapor produced by an electronic cigarette vapor contains four or more ingredients, all of which are GRAS, or generally recognized as safe.
3. Serious smokers wonder if an electronic cigarette can help them quit smoking. Although electronic cigarettes cannot be marketed as smoking cessation devices at present, there is plenty of evidence that they can help smokers quit. Smokers who desire a smokeless alternative offering the advantage of nicotine delivery in a social setting have found exactly what they have been looking for when they pick up an electronic cigarette. However, abandoning all nicotine consumption may be another goal, and that, too, can be achieved by the use of an electronic cigarette without nicotine content.
4. Many people wonder if electronic cigarettes are approved by the FDA. At the present time the electronic cigarette industry is not regulated by the FDA, although that may change in the future.
5. Several public interest groups are opposed to electronic cigarettes, for a variety of reasons. Some are calling for more clinical studies in the interest of public safety. Others simply want a piece of action in the huge, growing market for electronic cigarettes.
6. New vapers wonder whether an electronic cigarette be used anywhere. Technically, the answer is yes. Since there is no combustion involved, there is no smoke and therefore no second hand smoke. The vapor emitted by an electronic cigarette does not threaten the health of non-smokers as does tobacco smoke. However, many people, primarily non-smokers, cannot tell the difference between tobacco cigarettes and electronic cigarettes, so great distress can come about by their confusion. Vapers must use discretion in choosing where to use their electronic cigarette.
7. Parents and public agencies worry that children and young adults will become interested in electronic cigarettes. This is a legitimate concern that certainly has merit, but it just as certainly should not be used as a reason to dismiss an adult pleasure. Specialty flavoring for electronic cigarettes seems to be the main concern, as is the idea of “looking cool,” similar to real cigarettes, and the fact that electronic cigarette flavoring comes in a variety of fun flavors. The initial cost of an electronic cigarette starter kit is fifty to one hundred dollars, which is impractical for most kids. The target market is adult smokers looking for a smokeless alternative to tobacco cigarettes.
8. Everybody wonders which electronic cigarette is the best. Of course this issue is highly debatable, and the truth is that it depends on exactly what the user is looking for, what he or she prefers. Some cheap brands have caused problems, but there are certainly some higher quality manufacturers on the scene now. Research and experimentation will help the user make a good choice. It may be worth spending a few more dollars upfront to get the best quality electronic cigarette, one that’s capable of providing an enjoyable and stress-free vaping experience.
9. Curious people wonder what electronic cigarettes cost. A quality starter kit, which includes a rechargeable battery, one or two chargers and five nicotine cartridges, costs at least $50, and up to $100 – $150. Replacement packs of five cartridges each cost $10 – $15, and each cartridge is estimated to last as long as one to one and a half packs of tobacco cigarettes. By anyone’s calculations that comes out to about $2 – $3 for the equivalent of one pack of tobacco cigarettes.
10. And finally, people who are curious enough to try electronic cigarettes want to know where to buy them. The best deals can definitely be found online.